- This is a preview of the Business Insider Intelligence Tech Companies in Financial Services premium research report. Purchase this report here.
- Business Insider Intelligence offers even more e-commerce and payments coverage with our Payments & Commerce Briefing. Subscribe today to receive industry-changing retail news and analysis to your inbox.
Tech giants are set to grab up to 40% of the $1.35 trillion in US financial services revenue from incumbent banks, per McKinsey. Three of the largest US tech companies — Apple, Google, and Amazon — are particularly encroaching on financial services and threatening incumbents with their size and ability to attract massive, loyal user bases.
Apple is deepening its financial services play as a means of invigorating revenue, and its expertise could make it a legitimate threat to legacy players. Google's platform-agnostic approach, wide international penetration, and top talent position it as a hub with unrivaled global reach beyond just consumer payments. And Amazon — which has eaten up market share in every industry it's touched, and now has its sights on financial services — could swiftly undercut legacy players.
In The Tech Companies In Financial Services report, Business Insider Intelligence will examine the moves that Apple, Google, and Amazon are making to gain a larger foothold in the global financial services industry. We will then detail each tech company's threat to incumbents and outline potential next steps based on their existing moves in the financial services sphere.
The companies mentioned in the report include: Apple, Amazon, Google, Goldman Sachs, Mastercard, Barclaycard, Citi, Chase, Capital One, Paytm, and PhonePe.
Here are some key takeaways from the report:
- Apple's expertise in consumer-facing tech products makes it a legitimate threat to legacy players. Its next move could be a debit card or PFM app, both of which would be cohesive with its existing offerings.
- Google's money movement and commerce services form a payments hub with unrivaled global reach. Google could pursue global expansion by modifying its offerings in other markets like it did in India, pursuing Europe, and even delving into digital remittances.
- Amazon is an expert disruptor — and it has its sights set on the financial services industry next. Amazon could develop checking and savings accounts, bring Amazon Pay in-store, and white-label its Amazon Go store technology to deepen its financial services footprint.
In full, the report:
- Outlines the threat posed by Apple, Amazon, and Google to legacy financial players.
- Identifies each tech giant's strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats moving further into financial services.
- Discusses each company's moves in financial services and their anticipated next steps in the space.
- Current subscribers can read the report here.
Interested in getting the full report? Here's how to get access:
- Business Insider Intelligence analyzes the payments and commerce industry and provides in-depth analyst reports, proprietary forecasts, customizable charts, and more. >> Check if your company has BII Enterprise membership access to the full report
- Sign up for the Payments & Commerce Briefing, Business Insider Intelligence's expert email newsletter keeping you up-to-date on the people, technologies, trends, and companies shaping the future of consumerism, delivered to your inbox 6x a week. >> Get Started
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now